What to do After a San Antonio Car Wreck
In 2013, a vehicle crash was reported once every 71 seconds in the state of Texas. But since auto car wrecks occur infrequently in the lifetime of any individual, it’s not uncommon for people to be inexperienced in how to handle these incidents. And given the increased anxiety, tempers, and pain of those involved in an accident, they very often do or say the wrong thing.
That’s why it’s important to know what to do after an car wreck before contacting an accident lawyer. Here is a list of measures to take in these situations:
- Stay at the scene. It is illegal to leave the scene of a wreck accident involving an injury in Texas. Remain there until law enforcement arrives.
- Stay calm. As difficult as it may be, it is important not to let your emotions get the best of you. Otherwise, you could make a bad situation worse.
- Assess injuries. Check to see if you are hurt, then do the same for everyone else in your vehicle. But do not move if you are in serious pain, feel dizzy, or cannot feel your limbs.
- Move out of danger. If possible, move your vehicle to the side of the road or into a parking lot in order to prevent a passerby from colliding with you.
- Call 911. If you aren’t sure whether you need immediate medical attention, then you should err on the side of caution and call the San Antonio police department or emergency services.
- Exchange information. Get the names, driver’s license numbers, and insurance policy numbers of all drivers involved in the accident; as well as the makes, models, and license plate numbers of the vehicles involved.
- Document the accident scene. Using a cell phone camera, take pictures of car wreck, debris, skid marks, and other evidence at the site.
- Call your auto insurer. Notify your insurance agent or representative that you’ve been involved in an accident to begin the claims process.
- Call a San Antonio car wreck attorney. If you have been hurt and the accident was the fault of someone else, an accident lawyer can help you seek reimbursement for medical bills, compensation for work absenteeism, and perhaps other monetary damages.
The motor-vehicle accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Ronald A. Ramos are well-versed in every aspect of auto San Antonio auto accident lawsuits. We have the experience to help you obtain the financial relief to which you are entitled. For more information, call our office to set up a free initial consultation.
Law Offices of Ronald A. Ramos, P.C.